Squash is absolutely my most favourite vegetable ever! Not only is it in season in my favourite season, FALL, it’s absolutely delicious! It’s kind of a weird obsession haha sometime I will bake a whole acorn squash and eat the whole thing by myself for lunch haha but I am honestly not ashamed of that.
I’ve always been a bit unsure about spaghetti squash. Pretty much because the first time I tried to cook it, it was a disaster but definitely not this time! This was really yummy and a recipe that is going in my cook book 🙂 After all, I wouldn’t share recipes with you all if I didn’t love them 🙂
Source: The Kitchen Is My Playground
What You Need:
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 (28 oz.) cans whole tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- Parmesan Cheese
What You Need To Do:
To Cook The Squash:
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cut the squash in half, length-wise and take out the seeds with a spoon.
- Lay the squash on a baking sheet cut-face down and pierce several holes in the skin with a knife.
- Cook for 45mins and then flip squash for another 45 mins.
To Make The Sauce:
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper, tomatoes, oregano, and thyme. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
For the Spaghetti Squash Bake:
- Place spaghetti squash ‘noodles’ in a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Pour sauce evenly over squash. Place cheese on top of sauce
- Bake at 400 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes, or until heated through, bubbly, and lightly browned.
I’m not a cheese lover so I made half of the bake with cheese on it (a mixture of oregano and parmesan cheese) for Evan and the other cheese-less half for me. This bake lasted us two days so perfect for the young married couple on a strict budget!