On cold rainy days, sometimes you just need some comfort food. Well guess what. It was rainy and cold the other day and so I made sloppy joes! These are delicious. I promise you I will never ever, ever, ever, ever eat sloppy joes from a can EVER again! This is way too good. It also is quite cheap to make and saves you from buying double the meat as the lentils make up for it 🙂
Source: Budget Bytes
What You Need:
- ¾ cup dry lentils
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper $0.78
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 3 oz. tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp honey
- ½ Tbsp mustard
- ½ tsp chili powder
- Buns or Toast (whatever you prefer to eat your Sloppy Joe’s on; I prefer toast 🙂 )
What You Need to Do:
- Begin cooking the lentils first first. Sort through ¾ cup of dry brown lentils to remove any stones or debris. Give them a rinse under cool water. Bring 1.5 cups of water up to a boil and then add the lentils. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 20 minutes. Test the lentils to make sure they are tender and then drain in a colander. Set the cooked lentils aside until you are ready to add them to the sloppy joe’s. These can be simmering while you make the rest of the sloppy joe’s.
- Chop the onion into small pieces and add it to a large skillet along with the olive oil and minced garlic. Cook over medium heat.
- While the onion and garlic are cooking, cut the bell pepper into small pieces and add it to the skillet as well. Cook until all of the vegetables are soft and transparent.
- Add the ground beef and continue to cook until no red remains.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, cider vinegar, honey, mustard, chili powder, and salt. Stir well and heat through.
Stir in the cooked lentils and heat through if needed (5 minutes). Serve warm on a bun or toast!
So if it is cold and rainy (or just cold) where ever you may be, and you are craving some childhood comfort food, make this. It’s comfort food made healthy. How could you not eat this!?